S. Farooq  
Department of Geology
Aligarh Muslim University
 

email farooq.amu@gmail.com

Virtual Geological Field Trip to Jhalawar

Tourist Information about Jhalawar

Like the other districts and cities of Rajasthan, Jhalawar is also dotted with several tourist hotspots, ranging from fortresses, museum, theatre and shrines among a host of others. The lovely Jhalawar is also the site of several colorful festivities. Jhalawar registers huge footfalls during the occasion of the Chandrabhaga Fair. It is also famous as the Kartik Fair. Besides, people from all across the country throng to the Gangaur festival, the Kaleshwar Mahadev Fair, that brings Jhalawar to life.

Jhalawar Fort (Garh Palace)

Situated in the center of the town, this beautiful monument houses the Collectorate and other offices. It was built by Maharajrana Madan Singh during 1840 - 1845 and his successors later on added beautiful paintings inside the rooms which can be seen with the permission of the appropriate authorities. The Zenana Khas has some exquisite paintings and mirrors which are prime examples of the Hadoti school of art.

Government Museum

Established in 1915 A.D, this is one of the oldest museums of Rajasthan. The exhibits include a fine collection of paintings, rare manuscripts, coins, sculptures and idols of deities. 5th and 7th century inscriptions may also be seen here. Most of the idols recovered form various ruins have been added to this collection. The Ardhnarishvara Natraj, from this museum, was displayed in Moscow, during the Festival of India celebrations.

Bhawani Natya Shala:

An interesting building constructed in 1921 by Maharaja Bhawani Singh, near the Fort. This unique theatre was built for the performance of plays and other cultural events. It was a popular Parsi theatre in state times. It has been recently revived and gives a very good insight into the theatre -art. It is quite a unique structure and an architectural marvel.  Its uniqueness lies in the fact that its deep stage with its underground construction allows the horses, and even the chariots to appear on stage. Believed to be one of the eight such theatres in the world, in its heyday it was the venue of great plays ranging from Shakuntalam to Shakespeare's classics.

Rain Basera:

On the Jhalawar-Kota Road, just 6 km short of Jhalawar town is a beautiful wooden cottage located on the banks of Kishan Sagar. Maharaja Rajendra Singh brought it to the Jhalawar from an exhibition held in Lucknow. It was originally constructed by the Forest Research Institute of Dehradun. Full layout expenditure including the cost of transportation and resettling of the cottage was Rs. 50,000 only at that time.

Gagron Fort:

12 Kms. Away from Jhalawar. The foundation of this magnificent, impregnable renowned fort was laid in the 7th century and the fort was completed in the 14th century. Outside of the fort is the Dargah of Sufi Saint Mittheshah, where a fair is held every year during the month of Moharram. Nearby is the monastery of Saint Pipa Ji, a contemporary of Saint Kabir.  Gagron Fort is perched on a low ridge at the confluence of the rivers Ahu and Kali Sindh whose waters surround it on three sides. On the fourth side there used to be a deep moat completing its defenses. Gagron is among the rare forts which are both a vana and a jala durg - i.e. both forest-protected and water-protected. It is surrounded by forests and has behind it the Mukundarrah range of hills.

Jhalarapatan (6KM)

Founded by Parmara Chandra Sen, grandson of Maharaja Vikramaditya, this small town within the confines of a wall was built to protect the trade caravans as patan was the junction of caravan routes. Known as the City of Temple Bells, the town is located on the banks of the holy Chandrabhaga river.  A magnificent 100-feet high 10th century Surya Temple (Padam Nath Temple ) is the major attraction of the city. The temple has some splendid sculptures as well as well preserved idols of Surya. Nearby is the beautiful group of temples on the Chandrabhaga stream which rises from a spring. Colonel James Todd mentions counting 108 temples here. They belong to the 6th - 14th centuries. The 11th century Shantinath Jain temple and Shri Dwarkadheesh temple (built by Jhala Zalim Singh) are among the other important temples of the city.   

For more details visit the tourism page of Jhalawar district at: http://jhalawar.nic.in/jhalawar.htm

   


This website is hosted by

S. Farooq

Department of Geology

Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh - 202 002 (India)

Phone: 91-571-2721150

email: farooq.amu@gmail.com