Wind Energy Facts
information is from http://www.windpowerindia.com.
Please visit the website of Consolidated Energy Consultants Limited (CECL) at http://cecl.in/ who maintain this webpage to know
the latest. CECL is a major wind energy consultant in India providing
comprehensive technical services to the emerging field of Renewable Energy
- India ranks fourth amongst the wind-energy-producing
countries of the world after Germany, Spain and USA.
- India's position was 3rd in the World till September 96,
thereafter it became 4th upto December 98, 5th upto December 04 and
now it is 4th again.
- Estimated potential is around 45000 MW at
50 m above ground level.
- Exhaustive wind resource assessment has been carried out in
more than 540 stations spread over 20 States in the
country. As on date 218 Wind Monitoring stations have indicated wind
power density more than 200 W/m2 at 50 m above ground level.
- Micro Survey of Wind Resource for 97 Wind Monitoring
Stations have been completed to know the zone
of influence and Wind Power Potential around the stations to meet the
requirement of wind energy developers in the country.
- Windfarms have been
installed in more than 9 States.
- More than 95% of installed capacity belongs to Private
Sector in seven states
- A good number of wind turbine manufacturers are active in
India and producing Wind Electric Generators (WEGs) of rating 225 kW to
- A large number of agencies have come up to supply
components/spares/ accessories and to provide services like Erection,
O&M, Civil & Electrical Construction, Consultancy etc.
- A large number of water pumping windmills and small
aero-generators have been installed in the country.
- Wind-Solar and Wind-Diesel Hybrid systems have also been
installed at a few places.
- The Central Ministry and several State Nodal Agencies
encourage growth of Wind Energy Sector through financial incentives and
- The Ministry of Non-Conventional Energy Sources, Govt. of
India has established a Centre for Wind Energy Technology at Chennai
with field test station at Kayathar to act as
technical focal point for wind power development in the country.
- A National Renewable Energy Policy, now under consideration,
envisages 10% of total installed capacity through Renewables. By 2012
AD, projected wind power installation is likely to be around 5000
assistance for Renewable source of energy is available through Indian
Renewable Energy Development Agency, a supporting arm of MNES, GOI.
website is hosted by
Muslim University, Aligarh - 202 002 (India)